Monday, April 11, 2016

The Role of Special Education in Tomorrow’s  learning World
---Yanhua Wang

Recently I got the opportunity to interview a school counselor and a general teacher. I further learned the process of how to identify a student for special education and how do we do to help them in achieving academic and body improvements.
From the interviews with the counselor and the general teacher, I know that the whole assessment process is very precise and objective before the identification of a student for special education. And every further step is also distinct and targeted to make sure that the students can make progress.
Generally, there are four steps from identifying to fulfilling the program. The first steps is to identify the need: when, where and how are disabilities diagnosed and response to intervention. The second steps is formal assessment. The third step is individualized education program and meeting. The fourth step is annual and triennial reviews and progress monitoring.
While individualized education programs are offered to the students, the assessment to identify a student for special education is extremely important. it helps determine the extent and direction of a child’s personal journey through the special education experience (Pierangelo and Giuliani, 2006). Schools rely mostly on parents, general teachers and special education teachers to identify students for special education. So elementary school teachers play a very important role in the first steps as 99% of students for special education are identified at early ages. From the school counselor, I was given an outline of the whole process; and from the general teacher, I was told how to find out the sign of a struggling student. As a general teacher, I realize my mission to help those struggling students. Even though there is no student in my class attends individualized education program, there is couples of students need more attention. Their academic basic is unstable. The further they stay in this class, the farther they left behind. As their subject teacher, firstly I observed their performance in the classroom in order to find out the reason why they fell behind other students. Secondly, I analyzed their homework and project. Thirdly I gave them the feedback I summarized. I also expressed my willingness to offer help and how we could work together to help them. Now I am very happy to see the improvement they have made.
My good friend is a special education teacher assistant in my school. She is assigned to help a girl one on one. No matter where the girl goes at school, she will follow her :attending classes,assisting with homework, going to the bathroom and having lunch. My friend is taking very good care of her and without any complaints. I respect my friend and all the others who devote their careers to special education. Some of my cohorts are working with special education needed students. They shared with us some stories about how amazing progress the students have made. I believe with their help, these miracles happen!  Finland sets up a very good example in helping students for special education. while in our country, we can make it even better with all the efforts we cohesion.



Reference:
1. Understanding the Special Education Process. (n.d.). Retrieved April 10, 2016, from http://www.specialeducationguide.com/pre-k-12/what-is-special-education/the-special-education-process-explained/
2.Understanding Special Education: A Parent Guide. (n.d.). Retrieved April 10, 2016, from http://www.understandingspecialeducation.com/
3.Special Education Referral Process - Project IDEAL. (n.d.). Retrieved April 10, 2016, from http://www.projectidealonline.org/special-education-referral-process.php

No comments:

Post a Comment