Friday, October 19, 2018

Identifying a Research Topic/Question


Language learning is closely related to the cultural background of the language. When I first started teaching Chinese in the United States, I was already thinking about how to connect language and culture to achieve better language learning. English is my second foreign language. I don't want my students to have the same experience as I did to learn a second language in a non-culture environment. Therefore, my research question is: how to connect the learning of language to the culture behind it and promote students' enthusiasm for learning Chinese.
Here is how I addressed the topic/question in my research proposal:

Why it’s important to relate the learning of language to the culture behind it.
if I don’t explain this “why” question, I don’t think people have the patience to listen to my question later on. I have to convince people with even two reasons to support my points of view. If they think my points of views are reasonable, they will encourage me to apply my strategies.
What environments are students staying?
Different Strategies will be used in different school district. I am teaching in a diverse community. Many of my students are immigrants from Mexico or other Southern American countries. I will try to find the similarity of cultures or customs and share with my students to arise echo in their heart.
What cultures that students will be interested?
Interest is the best teacher. Before making plans, I will do a survey and find out what cultures are my students interested.
What strategies can I learn?
Are there any successful examples that I can learn? And how did people make it? Do I copy it or modify to fix my class?
How to assess the effect?
I will create goals and objectives with assessment system to check the effect. Student differentiation in different classes makes it hard to apply the same strategy to the same group of people. So I will design proper assessments for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment